Noyes FLX380-303U FlexTester SM Fiber OTDR
The AFL FLX380 FlexTester is the world’s smallest, lightest, most complete single-mode fibre optic test set. It combines highperformance, multi-wavelength OTDR/PON OTDR, Source, Power Meter, VFL and PON Power Meter in a rugged, hand-held package. With 42 dB dynamic range, best-in-class event, attenuation, and PON dead zones, LinkMap with pass/fail analysis, macrobend and splitter detection, launch quality check, plus AFL’s unique ServiceSafe® and Wave ID features, the FLX380 FlexTester Series offers an unmatched combination of optical test functions, ease-of-use, portability, and value.
FlexTester Series is offered in four models to best suit your application requirements:
- FLX380-304: Verify both in-service (live) and out-of-service FTTx networks from a single port. Includes 1310/1550/1650 nm live PON OTDR with integrated PON Power Meter
- FLX380-303: Similar to FLX380-304, but with 1625 nm filtered Live PON OTDR, instead of 1650 nm
- FLX380-302: Complete out-of-service testing at all FTTx PON wavelengths (1310/1490/1550 nm)
- FLX380-300: Lowest cost, high-performance, all-in-one 1310/1550 nm OTDR for out-of-service installation testing or troubleshooting on both FTTx PON and point-to-point fibre optic networks.
Over 1000 OTDR test results (Telcordia SR-4731 .SOR file format) may be saved in the FLX380’s internal 4GB memory. Stored OTDR and OPM results may be transferred to PC via Bluetooth or USB. Windows® compatible TRM® 2.0 Test Results Manager software is included for OTDR and Power Meter results viewing, analysis, and professional report generation.
New LinkMap™ Simplifies Network Troubleshooting
Using the FLX380’s new LinkMap capability, even novice users can troubleshoot optical networks like a pro! LinkMap interprets the tested network and presents an icon-based view of network elements clearly identifying fibre start, end, connectors, splices, splitters, and macrobends. Loss and reflectance of network elements is compared to user-settable pass/fail thresholds and displayed with clear pass/fail indications. Users can instantly toggle between LinkMap and Trace view at the press of a button.
With launch quality check, integrated macrobend and splitter event detection, FLX380 OTDRs offer even greater ease-of-use. FlexTester OTDRs also provide a Link Summary showing end-to-end link length, loss, loss/distance and ORL.
ServiceSafe® Testing on Live PONs
In FTTx PONs, troubleshooting a faulty fibre connection from one out-of-service subscriber’s location using a 1310/1550 nm OTDR could disrupt service to active subscribers. AFL’s ServiceSafe feature alerts the OTDR user to the presence of live traffic and prevents the OTDR from initiating service-disrupting tests at 1310/1550 nm.
FLX380-303 and -304 models measure downstream power levels at 1490 nm and/ or 1550 nm, and allow the user to initiate an OTDR test using a non-disruptive 1625 nm or 1650 nm OTDR wavelength. Using AFL-patented technology (US patent 8,411,259), live PON OTDR testing is performed through the same optical port used for 1310/1550 nm OTDR testing, eliminating unnecessary connector wear and tear and shortening test time.
Fast, error-free Loss Tests using Wave ID
All FLX380s integrate an Optical Laser Source (OLS) and Optical Power Meter (OPM) supporting AFL’s unique Wave ID capability. With Wave ID, the OPM automatically synchronises to a single or multi-wavelength Wave ID optical signal sent by another FLX380 or AFL hand-held OLS. The OPM automatically determines which wavelengths are sent and measures power and loss at each wavelength, saving significant test time and eliminating setup errors. The integrated OLS and OPM also generate and detect fibre-identifying tones to enable positive fibre identification before disconnecting fibres during maintenance.
OPM results may be saved using the same file-naming convention applied to OTDR results. Saved OPM results may be recalled and viewed or uploaded to TRM for report generation.
Create Professional Test Reports using TRM® 2.0
Saved OTDR and OPM results may be uploaded to PC, viewed and analyzed using the included TRM 2.0 Test Results Manager software. With TRM’s report generation wizard, users can easily create professional, customised fibre acceptance test reports.
- 3rd generation hand-held, all-in-one OTDR, Source, Power Meter, VFL
- Icon-based LinkMap™ display with pass/fail for easy network analysis
- Patented in- or out-of-service testing from a single port
- 42/42 dB dynamic range @1310/1550 nm; test up to 1×128 PON
- Industry-leading 0.8/2.5/30 m event/attenuation/PON dead zones
- ServiceSafe® live PON detection and OTDR test without service disruption
- Integrated OLS/OPM with Wave ID reduces test time 80% and eliminates setup errors
- Rugged, hand-held and lightweight (<1 kg)
- High-contrast display: clear and bright, even in direct sunlight
- Industry leading battery life: over 12 hours operation from a single charge
- It’s all about speed: with Instant On, you’re ready to test in <5 sec
- Certify new FTTx PON or point-to-point fibre installations, including splice, splitter and connector loss and reflectance, end-to-end length, loss and optical return loss (ORL).
- Troubleshoot live FTTx PONs, including live PON detection and PON power measurements plus live PON OTDR testing at 1625 or 1650 nm.
- Complete multi-wavelength end-to-end insertion loss tests faster and eliminate setup errors using AFL’s Wave ID loss test feature.
- Generate stable optical source signals (CW, Wave ID or fibre-identifying tones) using the integrated Optical Laser Source.
- Trace fibres or locate fibre bends or breaks using the VFL (visible red laser).
|OTDR (POINT-TO-POINT, PON, LIVE PON)|
|Safety Class||Class 1 FDA 21 CFR 1040.10 and 1040.11, IEC 60825-1: 2007-03|
|Available Wavelengths||1310/1550/1625 nm|
|Wavelength Tolerance||±20/±20/±10 nm|
|Dynamic Range (SNR=1)||FLX380-303: 41/41/38 dB @1310/1550/1625|
|Event Dead Zone||0.8 m|
|Attenuation Dead Zone||2.5 m|
|PON Dead Zone||30 m|
|Pulse widths||5, 10, 30, 100, 300 ns; 1, 3, 10, 20 µs|
|Range Settings||250 m to 240 km|
|Data Points||Up to 30,000|
|Data Point Spacing||5.0 cm (range <1.5 km); Range/30,000 (range >1.5 km)|
|Group Index of Refraction||1.4000 to 1.7000|
|Distance Uncertainty (m)||±(1 + 0.003% x distance + data point spacing)|
|Trace File Format||Telcordia SR-4731 Issue 2|
|Trace File Storage Medium||4 GB internal memory (>1000 traces)|
|Data Transfer to PC||USB cable or Bluetooth® wireless|
|PON OTDR Modes||To Splitter, Through Splitter, Expert|
|Standard OTDR Modes||Full Auto, Expert, Real Time|
|OPTICAL LASER SOURCE (OLS)|
|Emitter Type, Safety Class||Class I, FDA 21 CFR 1040.10 and 1040.11, IEC 60825-1: 2007-03|
|Available Wavelengths||1310, 1490, 1550, 1625, 1650 nm|
|Wavelength Tolerance||±20 nm (1310/1490/1550) ±10 nm (1625/1650)|
|Spectral Width (FWHM)||5 nm (maximum)|
|Internal Modulation||270 Hz, 330 Hz, 1 kHz, 2 kHz, CW|
|Wave ID (one, two, or three wavelengths)||Compatible with AFL Optical Power Meters and Light Sources|
|Output Power Stability||±0.2 dB|
|Output Power||-1 dBm ±1.5 dB|
|PON POWER METER FOR SINGLE-MODE ONLY|
|Calibrated Wavelengths||1490, 1550 nm|
|Detector Type||Filtered InGaAs|
|Measurement Range||+23 to -50 dBm|
|Measurement Units||dBm or Watts (nW, µW, mW)|
|OPTICAL POWER METER|
|Calibrated Wavelengths||1310, 1490, 1550, 1625, 1650 nm|
|Measurement Range||+23 to -50 dBm|
|Tone Detect Range||+3 to -35 dBm|
|Wavelength ID Range||+3 to -35 dBm|
|Measurement Units||dB, dBm or Watts (nW, µW, mW)|
|VISUAL FAULT LOCATOR (VFL)|
|Emitter Type||Visible red laser, 650 ±20 nm|
|Safety Class||Class II FDA 21 CFR 1040.10 and 1040.11, IEC 60825-1: 2007-03|
|Output Power (nominal)||0.8 mW into single-mode fiber|
|Modes||CW, 2 Hz flashing|
|Size (in boot)||20.1 x 13.0 x 5.3. cm (7.9 x 5.1 x 2.1 in)|
|Weight||0.8 kg (1.8 lb)|
|Operational Temperature||-10 °C to +50 °C, 0 to 95 % RH (non-condensing)|
|Storage Temperature||-20 °C to +60 °C, 0 to 95 % RH (non-condensing)|
|Power||Rechargeable Li-Ion or AC adapter|
|Battery Life||13.5 hours, Telcordia test conditions
12.5 hours, backlight on, continuous test
|Display||LCD, 320 x 240, 3.5 in (89 mm), color, high-contrast transflective with backlight and AR coating.|